Monday, March 22, 2010

Stop Violence Against Christian Women ONLY!

As those of you on facebook know, often times you get requests from friends to join various groups. A couple months ago I received a request to join a group called "Stop violence against women." Seemed like the right thing to do (not that I am sure fb groups really help anything), so I joined it. There was no hint of anything weird on their info page. Then today a little message popped up in my fb toolbar saying that the name of the group had been changed to "Stop violence against Christian Women." WTF? At first, I thought it was a joke, until I started reading down the group wall and seeing various bible themed messages left by the admin of the group. Of course, I left a message on the wall about my feelings on the name change and then left the group.

As far as I am concerned such a group can't claim to be an advocate for women (being that they don't care about all women) nor can they even claim to be Christian. I grew up going to church - I know what is in the bible and Jesus taught to love and help ALL people. I don't know how someone that claims to be a Christian even justifies that type of thing in their head. Then again, I don't know how fundamentalists justify a lot of the stuff they believe in.

No comments: