Thursday, February 4, 2010

Evolving Diet Thoughts

So it occurred to me at the grocery store today, it isn't that I eat a lot - it is what I eat that is the problem. Most days I have 1 meal, instead of three meals I snack a lot. Normally my snacks are more fattening than my meals. My favorite being salami, yogurt with mint (and/or sometimes cheese) and crackers (triscuit hint of salt) or a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Also, add lots of chocolate throughout the day and anything else that is easy to grab like crackers (luckily I have never cared much for potato chips, unless they are BBQ which I rarely buy). So anyway I thought to myself that I will never eat more healthy and less fattening unless those healthy snacks are easy to grab, which means I always need a lots of washed and cut fresh veggies and fruit, ready for me to grab and eat. So that is what I did when I returned from the grocery, washing and cutting -- ready for when I get hungry.

I also bought some Boca burgers. I have never really minded those. They don't taste like a hamburger and anyone that tells you they do are lying, but they don't taste bad. I also found these amazing buns -


I have never really cared for big thick buns anyhow and these only have 100 calories, which is less than half of a regular bun and less than a wheat pita pocket or whole wheat tortilla. I haven't eat one yet, but I took a nibble and they seemed tasty.

All that said, somethings I consider outside the realm of diet. For example, when we go out to dinner (which we don't do very often, once a week at most) I will eat whatever I want. If I make myself feel too deprived this will not work. I will do my best to stay away from white at home and to make the less fattening choice, so long as it is bearable. There are some low fat things that are unbearable - mayo and cheese come to mind. I would rather have neither if I have to do the no or low fat alternative. I also stay away from most things that are not naturally low fat because often they have aspartame sweetner or something equally as bad. If I wanted to eat formaldehyde I would just buy some. Also, I am convinced that the stuff they call margarine is really just whipped plastic. Although, there is a yogurt spread (that I will start buying again) that is pretty tasty and all natural.

So those are my updated plans. We will see if they do any good.

4 comments:

Michele said...

Sounds like a great plan to me! I love those buns as well as the Arnold Sandwich Thins in either multi-grain or whole wheat. yummy!

I agree with you about margarine, can't stand the stuff. I will use Smart Balance now & then, but I prefer the real thing any day.

LesleyinNM said...

Arnold is not a brand I know so I bet they don't sell it here.

I don't remember how many calories the yogurt spread has, but less than butter and it is far tastier than margarine (what isn't?).

Anyhow, hoping that this will work. I am tired of working out and not losing any weight.

Regan Lee said...

I've found that dieting doesn't work; it's changing habits that help. I've finally gotten down to a size I haven't been in twenty five years; I still have a ways to go, but it feels good. Exercise, which I hate, is a key; I"ve been exercising every damn day now (except when I was sick, I missed a couple of days)

For me, it isn't so much what I eat, but how much. My big thing is portion control. We don't eat meat so we eat all kinds of "faux"meat stuff, and it's not a problem.

My biggest thing, aside from the portion control, are saucey cheese type things; sour creams and stuff.
I don't drink or eat anything labeles "lite" or "diet" and avoid fake sweetneers, like Aspartame, -- well not drink that poison.

Good luck Lesley! Another thing I need to do more of is eat more fruit and veggies, like you say, it's just a habit I have to get into. I like them fine, just getting used to doing it.

LesleyinNM said...

Portion control is something that I always have had a problem with. I have got a handle on it now, but I used to cook enough for an army even though there are only two of us. It is because that is how I was raised, for some reason you always had to cook LOTS of food and you were always suppose to eat until you were too stuffed to move. Going back for seconds or thirds of something would make grandma very happy.

I also love anything creamy or buttery and not in moderation. Probably that is a big key too - moderation.