Friday, July 2, 2010

More of my 80s memories -- weddings!


Yep, that is me, circa 1984 or so.

Anyhow, thinking about 1980s themed movies earlier made me think of my favorite - The Wedding Singer!  For 2 Springs and Summers, 1983 and 84, as I recall -- I seemed to attend at least 2 weddings a month.  Some of those months, especially in June, I am sure that I attended a wedding every single Saturday.  They were all very much like the ones in the wedding singer.  They were awesome!

At that time I worked at what would become Honeywell, but then it was Sperry Air Flight Systems.  I don't know exactly how many people worked there, but hundreds at least.  The thing about the 80s is that people that were pretty much complete strangers (except for working at the same place) would invite you to their weddings and the wedding dance after the wedding.  Sometimes not even their wedding, but their friend, sister or cousin -- someone you didn't know at all.  It was so sweet because you see I was still a few years off from being legal drinking age and at weddings (at least back then) nobody asked to see an ID, you simple asked for a drink and they gave it to you.  You could drink (sometimes for free) and dance all night to great music, performed by a band that looked just as you are imagining!  I have never had so much fun at a wedding since those 80s weddings, all these modern ones pale in comparison. 

No comments: